WordPress has yet again released it’s another major version i.e. WordPress 4.6 today. WordPress team released it’s first major version of 2016 4.5 On April 12. Numerous bugs were tested in its preceding versions and finally, on August 16, 2016, there is an excitement to talk about the release of WordPress 4.6. Let’s discuss what’s new in WordPress 4.6 and what new changes have been made?
Remember, before you update your WordPress version, make a complete back-up of your website. This is because some of the plugins in your website may not work properly due to plugins and WordPress version conflict. This may result in crashing of the site or blank pages.
What’s New in WordPress 4.6 ?
1. Streamlined Updates in WordPress 4.6
Before 4.6, while installing/updating plugins or theme updates, the site took some time to load. The 4.6 version however, is faster and smooth. You can stay on the very same page while you install, delete, or update the themes or plugins. The page speed and loading time are also less than in compared to previous versions.
2. Native Fonts in WordPress 4.6
By default, the WordPress used Open San of google to display the dashboard fonts the same in every device you logged in. This made it even more difficult to load the dashboard page due to third party font installation. However, in WordPress 4.6, the developer team have given us the advantage of using the fonts we already have on our site. This is a great feature for the Dashboard appearance and load speed.
Remember, this feature is only available on the dashboard screen. The TinyMCE posts/pages have the same fonts as previous versions.
3. Editor Improvements in WordPress 4.6
One of the coolest features of WordPress 4.6 is its editor improvement. Every year, WordPress surprises us with the new editor feature but 4.6 has unique and extra feature this time. The two new improvements are:
- Inline Link Checker :- The WordPress 4.6 now checks the broken link automatically, if you have accidentally inlined the link on your posts. For example, if you have accidentally made the link http://prabinparajuli.com.np/wordpress.org , the WordPress check in order to make sure you didn’t.
- Content Recovery :- While typing in the Post or Page editor, the WordPress automatically saves in the browser to make sure the contents are recovered in prior to any loss.
4. Emoji Improvements in WordPress 4.6
Before WordPress 4.6, there was only support of limited characters. Now the [emoji] support has been upgraded to include all of the latest Unicode 9.0 emoji characters. Awesome no? ???
5. Internationalization improvement in WordPress 4.6
In December 2015, WordPress declared the translation platform for both plugins and themes. Ever since more than 15,000 themes and plugins were imported and every site is benefiting from the automated update of translation. Now, the WordPress automatically loads the available translation from the core files instead of the plugins. Also, Jquery UI is updated and localized properly.
Under the hood Improvements and Changes in WordPress 4.6
WordPress 4.6 has also brought a lot of changes for developers. Here are some of the improvements developers may find fascinating:
- Resource Hints : The resource hints, also known as a new W3C specification, allows the browsers to prefetch, dns-prefetch, preconnect, and prerender resources in order to improve the performance.
WP_Post_Type: A new WP_Term_Query class adds flexibility to query term information while a new WP_Post_Type object makes interacting with post types more predictable.
We’ve here talked about the topic “What’s new in WordPress 4.6”. There are still a plethora of improvements and changes made in WordPress 4.6 that I have not included on my post. Also, there may be a release of the prior version of WordPress 4.6 in coming weeks. The proposed plan of WordPress 4.7 version is in December 2017. Hope both the front-end and back-end developers will benefit from the prior releases.